Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Last Day in Istanbul (Tuesday)
















Today I spent almost the whole morning in the Archeology Museum. Then I took a cab to the Asian side of the river to have lunch at a cliffside restaurant overlooking the city. Of course, my cab driver got lost (Yea, right, the restaurant is right next to the bridge entrance on the Asian side!) and brought us to three wrong places. Then he wanted an exhorbitant amount of money "on the meter" which was hidden from us the whole time in the cab so we didn't see the amount piling up. When I finally agreed to pay him, he "swapped" a 50 lire bill that I gave him for a 1 lire bill (I only had 1 lire coins) and claimed I was trying to rip HIM off (!). There was also the cab driver the first day who instead of taking us down the river to the restaurant we wanted took us across the river and back and then wanted to charge us an extra fee for the "site seeing tour." Believe me, all the stories about con artist Turkish cab drivers are true.