Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Finally in Bishkek







I flew Turkish Air from Istanbul to Bishkek, a five hour flight. The flight was 5:00PM to 10:00PM Istanbul time but we arrived in Bishkek at 1:00AM local time. Once I got to the front of the visa line it took *me* only 5 minutes to get my visa. Must be my happy face (or that I had two expired Kyrgyz visas in my passport already). The four people in front of me seemed to be having problems and the person immediately after me took over 30 minutes to get his visa (and there were more than 10 people in line after him). Of course, there were five people in the visa office but only one was working (the others provided "advice"). This is not typical of my experience in the Bishkek airport so something must have changed in the way they operate. When I woke up this morning I had a beautiful view of the mountains from my 7th story hotel room window (pictures are left, center, and right from my balcony).