Monday, November 26, 2007

Monday in Sao Carlos




Monday was a slow day. We went to the opening ceremony for the USP Sao Carlos campus undergraduate research symposium. I had to give a very short speech. I also showed the Designer Genes club Biotechnology video (see http://youtube.com/watch?v=3oW1sUrTGLc). I challenged the students in Sao Carlos to make their own video in response. I told them to look ours up at youtube. The afternoon was mostly free so I worked again in my hotel room :( In the evening we went to a grocery store attached to a small shopping mall. I got coffee for Sinead, the kind she told me she liked that I bought for her two years ago from the same store (Sinead, are you reading this???). I also got Passion Fruit gatorade, Passion Fruit jello, and Passion Fruit concentrate juice (500 ml makes 8 liters!). We had dinner at a small restaurant in the mall with outside seating on a small cliff so we got fresh air and a nice view of the lights in the city below. To bad I didn't bring my camera to dinner. I went next door to the juice stand and got a 50/50 mix of orange juice and passion fruit juice for dessert. Can you tell from this post that I like passion fruit? I even had fresh passion fruit for breakfast this morning. Here are photos of the view of Sao Carlos from my hotel window and a photo of me at the head table at the symposium (I suppose I need to teach my students how to take good pictures with my camera). And ... oh ... big thanks to Mukund Thakore, Rotem Naftalovich, Davinder Sandhu, and Manoj Thakore for making the video.